Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Super Books This Summer

Peace out one and all. I read like every single book with a worthwhile cover that I could this summer, however there are a two books I think I aught to bring to everyone's attention...

Of all the books I have read this summer, only one stands out in my mind most vividly. During the last school year, I started reading The House Of The Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. It started out as one of those, "I'll pick this up on my spare time" sort of books. There was nothing different about it, as far as I could tell. Then about halfway through I realized that this was no ordinary book. The writing itself wasn't extremely genuine. But the storyline was so intense and packed that I could not convince myself to put it down. It definitely opens up your mind a little bit wider than it may have been before. I would highly recommend giving it some time to read.

This one will probably be shunned by most of you. It is called The White Mountains, by John Christopher. It's in a series of four, and the storyline is one of those classics. The bad guys walk around in these huge metal monsters called tripods. The tripods destroy all of mankind's technology, and then turn them into happy slaves who will jump off a cliff to do their bidding. It started out a little slow, but after about 50 pages it starts to pick up. Although the plot is somewhat juvenile, I found it to be a great 1-day read. It had the same feeling, as well as writing stile to it as did The Giver. I would strongly encourage all of you to give it a shot. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment