Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Summer Reading

Hello everyone! I hope everyone has had a great and wonderful summer so far! As I am typing, I am trying to finish packing from the beach. It has been truly wonderful to just sit back and relax. I have been listening to the waves while reading. I am so sad to leave this wonderful place. Who knows what next year will bring? We have actually seen tar balls from the oil spill. It has amazed me just seeing the beautiful ocean while just several miles away, there is a massive oil spill. Anyway, back on track. Books. So far this summer, I have had a great opportunity to read. I have enjoyed many wonderful pieces of literature. Sometimes I even hear my mom telling me to "put down the book and clean my room." Or something along those lines.

Pride and Prejudice by: Jane Austen- I have never been into classic literature. I always seem to stero-type classic novels. When I began the book, I was honestly very upset. I didn't want to read it at all! As the book progressed, I began to see the irony and beauty of the book! There were so many twist and turns! Sometimes it is hard to keep up. I sometimes find myself laughing at the humor. I truly enjoyed Jane Austen's crafty work in Pride and Prejudice.

City of Ember by: Jeanne DuPrau- I had heard many things about City of Ember. Many people claimed that it was a very good book and that I HAD to read it. I will have to say, while it had a very good story line, I found it being a little below my level. I finished the book in about a day. I did find myself going back and watching the movie and I have to say, I like the book better. I don't believe that I am going to continue the series.

Impossible by: Nancy Werlin- This was a very tricky book for me. I have never really been into reading things about elves or vampires, etc. But I will have to say that I did enjoy Impossible. At first, I didn't enjoy it. I wanted to give it up and not finish it. Marissa and I kept texting back and forth about it. She told me to continue reading it, I didn't want to. I ended up picking it up and finishing it. While it wasn't my favorite novel, I would suggest it to anyone who enjoys reading about curses and other mystical things.

My Forbidden Face by Latifa- I absolutely loved this book! Some people have claimed that it was very historic and didn't have much of a story. I felt the complete opposite! It really made me feel like I was in Latifa's thoughts as she told her story of living under the harsh reign of the Taliban. Considering my history in Model United Nations, I loved this book! It directly connected to some of the issues involved in the UN. I would suggest this book to anyone who enjoys reading a historic account.

I have read too many books to give an account of all of them! I hope everyone is having a great summer and is continuing their wonderful adventures through reading! As we speak, my amazon order is currently $80! Plus, I still have stacks in my closet of all the books I'm about to read! Hope everyone has a great rest of the summer! High school will be starting soon and I am very excited.
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment