Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Good Books This Summer (so far!)

Hey everyone! I hope you are all having a great summer and enjoying Ms. Kesler's books as well as other new, exciting ones! I am anxious to hear about them on here and look them up for myself (although I can't blame you if you don't post- I am finding this blog a little difficult to use). So I noticed, like, two days after school got out that I no longer had a refuge filled with books awaiting me at all times. This refuge is also known as my locker also known as Ms. Kesler's room! :( I had to buy books for myself, which is a hard thing to do without a credit card but my mom and I have a system going now. Here are a couple that might interest you:

Molly Fyde and the Blood of the Billions was spectacular as expected. It took me a little while to get into but the way Hugh Howey embraced these controversial topics of things such as immigration or politics was amazing. His message spoke through the story, and you could tell what his views were. As always, it left me hungry for the next one, book four. This series just goes deeper and deeper as you go on, and I love it. I'd have to say, though, out of all three I enjoyed the second one the best, which is some what odd because I usually don't like the way events flow in sequels to books.

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate was a sweet book, and I thought I should read it because it was on the suggested reading for sixth or seventh grade. Naturally, then, the reading level was a little low, but I still thought it was nice and I liked a couple of the implications towards women's rights more than the scientific relations.

The Color Purple was one of many I could read for high school, and it is definitely older high school level just because of content. I cringed, cried, and laughed throughout this book, which is what all books should make you do! The first half was just to detailed for my taste but it got much better. The book certainly portrays more feeling then the movie. This book I would only suggest to women too.

Little Bee is a book I found on my own in a bookstore and I was very proud to have picked out a good book without Ms. Kesler! :) I'm starting to have to read books in the adult section, which is where this one was, but it's all good because I can have many conversations with my Grandmother or my mom's friends about them. This book by Chris Cleave was one that the story wraps around itself and you don't figure it out until the end. Some parts are more gruesome then others, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Illegal immigration was the main topic of the book but in a way you wouldn't really expect.

I don't want to list them all, but I wanted to catch up for the summer so that I could post new books as I read them. I have read many more books then this, but I want to tell you about the few you might want to check out for yourself! Also The Guerensy Literary and Potato Peel Society is probably my second favorite book in the world right now, I loved it so much. My Forbidden Face is another interesting one that I'm currently in the process of about women under the Taliban (also reading that for high school). Hope this got some of you interested, and I look forward to see your posts! Keep enjoying your summer! :)

-Jessi

No comments:

Post a Comment