Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Uglies

I'm getting there.................
Recently, I read the Uglies by Scott Westerfield. Uglies is about Tally. Tally is a girl who lives in a world where on the day you turn 16, you don't get a driver's liscense. You have surgery that makes you pretty. Tally is alone now that her friends have had the surgery and all she wants is to be pretty, but a girl named Shay comes along and tells her about a place called the Smoke, where they live their entire lives as uglies. Shay doesn't want to be pretty and leaves for the Smoke before she turns 16, but Tally stays. Shay leaves Tally a coded message so she can get to the Smoke if she wants to. On the day Tally is supposed to have the surgery, she is taken to Special Circumstances and is confronted by Dr. Cable about Shay's disappearance. Tally acts like she knows nothing, until Dr. Cable says she can't have the surgery until they tell her where Shay went. Tally gives up after a few days and is sent to find Shay and destroy the Smoke. When she gets there, she finds out a terrible secret about being pretty and falls in love with David. Can she destroy the Smoke now?
I think this is one of my absolute favorite books I have read this year. I love the concept of it. The idea of a surgery to make everyone pretty is interesting to me to me, but I don't like the price. Brian lesions? Really?! I don't think being a pretty is worth what they do to your brain.
This also realtes to real life. In China, people are getting shots in their eyes to make their eyes prettier. I think that if they ever develop a surgery to make everyone a pretty, I would create the Smoke. I have two reasons:
1. I don't want people to mess with my brain.
2. I don't want to look like everyone else!
Anyway, I loved this book. The action was very enjoyable and the plot was very interesting. I would recommend this book to girls from 5th grade to 10th grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment