Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Life As We Knew It

A recent read for me is Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (don't ask me how to pronounce that because I have absolutely no idea whatsoever). I finished this one a couple days ago, so my thoughts aren't as fresh in my mind as they were for Hate List. I really enjoyed this book too. It was another one of those I found hard to put down. Once again, I can't relate to the main character. I haven't exactly been through the moon moving closer to the Earth and ending the world. Hopefully nobody has. Like Valerie, Miranda is a main character I can feel sorry for. Her entire world is ending. She is losing almost everybody she loves. Her family is starving. She is completely out of touch with her dad and his new wife (who is pregnant). They have no electricity or gas so during winter they almost freeze. They have no idea what is going on with the rest of the world. That has to be extremely hard. This wasn't anywhere near close to being real, so it wasn't like I was reading an auto-biography.
This book also made me think of one thing: The end of the world. It made me wonder what the scientists think is actually going to happen on December 21st, 2012. I still don't believe anythings going to actually happen, but still it made me wonder. So, of course, I looked it up. (Who doesn't love Google?) I found out that many people believe it is because of the Mayan calender. The Mayan calender ends on December 21st, 2012. Since everybody believes that the Mayans were extremely advanced in education, everybody believes that they had predicted the end of the world. I couldn't understand what the scientists were talking about when I read what they were thinking. I will say that, yes, I believe in the Bible and a date for the end of the world isn't mentioned in the Bible whatsoever. Besides that, how can a civilization that lived thousands of years ago predict the date of the end of the world? It doesn't matter how smart they were. It isn't possible. (This is my opinion. Please don't take it offensively.)
This is another book I can't compare to anything. I haven't read another book like this ever. Literally never. I have read post-apocalyptic books. It just isn't the same thing. I can relate main characters to each other. I can relate Miranda to Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games. They are both starving most of the time. At one point, Miranda has to take care of her family by herself, where Katniss does that every day. I just can't compare this to another book.
The style of this book is also very different from many books I have read. This book was written in the style of a diary. Basically, it was like I was reading Miranda's diary. Anyone who likes that type of writing style will most likely enjoy reading this book. I also believe anyone who likes Science Fiction would like this book as well, but, just like Hate List, I believe it is your own judgement whether or not you would like this book. ~Ashleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment