Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Don't Judge a Book by its cover

Hey, it's Serena. This is my first blog assignment for my Contemporary Literature class at MCA.

1. How do you pick a book? I usually pick books by using a few different ways. I look at the description of the book on the front cover or back of the book. If it sounds like something that I would like than I will probably read it. I also pick books based on the author. I like to read books written by the same author. Like when I read "The Devil's Arithmetic" by Jane Yolen. I would try to find a bunch of books by jut Jane Yolen and then read them. I also pick books based on the genre. I usually pick books that are fiction. No offense to those who like non-fiction, but it is so boring. I haven’t read any good non-fiction books lately. Fiction that is based on a true story is good, but not totally true.

2. How do I evaluate the first 3-4 chapters? What do you look for? What makes you give up on a book? First, I look at the vocabulary. If there are numerous amounts of words that I don’t understand than I will most likely quit reading that book. I also look at the maturity. I don’t want a kindergarten level read, but I don’t want an adult level read, if you know what I mean. I also want the story plot to be good. If it is boring than I will give up. When I read it needs to be fast-paced, not slow. Finally it should be something that I like. I will read books about horses, but not blood, guts, and gore.

That’s all for now. Bye.

-Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment