Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ship Breaker Review

I just finished reading Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi and found myself really enjoying it. Ship Breaker is a post-apocalyptic novel centering on Nailer, a poor worker who disassembles ships for scrap metal, who finds a rich girl shipwrecked after a violent hurricane hits the area.
I really liked how this book progressed, for the most part. The only thing I wish was that the ending have been a little longer, it felt like it stopped abruptly to me, I wanted more! Aside from Nailer, I didn’t quite feel like I got to know the characters very well. What was known of the characters, I loved, whether it was love to hate to, love to figure out, or just plain love. The plot stays on target, and doesn’t ramble about pointless aspects.
I would recommend this novel to mainly younger teens. There are a few rough spots in terms of languages and some mild violence, but other than that, it’s fine. If you liked The City of Ember, then you may like Ship Breaker, but keep in mind Ship Breaker is written for an older audience. Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a fast-paced, interesting, thought-provoking novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment