Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Wednesday Wars

In “The Wednesday Wars”, Holling Hoodhood is in seventh grade, where everyone in his school is either Jewish or Catholic. Everyone except Holling gets out of class early to go to church, leaving him alone with Mrs. Baker, whom he is convinced, hates him. During the time when he is alone, Mrs. Baker has him read Shakespeare. Eventually, it comes of use because his classmates find out he ate a cream puff, so he must go and buy one for each person in the class. He gets all the money he can, but comes up short, so the baker of the cream puffs makes a deal with him. If Holling performs Shakespeare, which he was in need of someone who knew some, he could have the cream puffs. A lot of stuff happens afterward that doesn't connect with the other parts of the story and I really feel compelled to say this, this was a terrible book. It had no flow, very slow, the characters were hard to relate to.

First, the story was talking about how Mrs. Baker hated Holling, then it talked about him being the only Presbyterian, then it talked about rats. It was just very lacking, story-wise. It jumped around too much and I didn't enjoy it.

It was also very slow. It had so little action that I felt like I had to force myself to read it. It was unbelievably boring. I kept thinking to myself “Why is this taking so long?” It took way too long to get its point across, that I had almost forgotten what that point was.

And, another reason is that the characters are hard to relate to. They seem so unnatural around each other and within themselves. They were very static, flat, and, for lack of a better term, boring.

This book was extremely slow paced, poorly written, and I don't understand why anyone would give this an award.


Words of Wisdom: Contrary to my belief, this book is not about war, nor two people named Wednesday in a fist fight. Buy this if you hate yourself, or if you are an English teacher who hates your students. If neither of the two, don't buy it.

Similar titles: None that are this incredibly dry and drawn out. Might I suggest the dictionary?

No comments:

Post a Comment