Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Things Not Seen

In “Things Not Seen”, Bobby is turned invisible and he has to go about his normal life still being invisible, well, as normal as he can. He can't go to school, go to public places without being completely naked or being completely covered in clothes. After he shows his parents he is invisible, which takes some time, his dad tries to figure out why he is invisible.

All that changes after he meets Alicia, a blind girl, at the library. He can talk to her without being exposed as the “invisible child.” And, after she finds out he is invisible, she has her parents help Bobby's figure out why Bobby is invisible. They encounter many obstacles during their quest, including the school board, a truant officer, and the government. They don't actually discover the cure for invisibility, though. They stumble across it when Bobby goes to sleep one night and wakes up visible.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, but I would suggest reading it only once. I read it a second time and didn't think the book was as good as I did the first time. I thought the plot was a bit dumb, I didn't enjoy the characters, I really just did not enjoy reading it the second time. Throughout the book, I was thinking to myself, “Maybe this is the part where it gets good.”

It didn't.


I was very disappointed when I read it the second time, for two reasons, mainly. Reason one: I loved the book the first time. I couldn't wait to start the second book in the series. That one was even worse. The second reason: I thought the story was very poor. Poorly thought out, poorly written, just didn't think it was a very good book.

You can go out and buy the book and see for yourself.

Words of Wisdom: Don't read it a second time.

Similar titles: “Things Hoped For”, “Things That Are”

No comments:

Post a Comment